Word Art

Letting Go

Great Teaching Means Letting Go, is a great article that I can relate too as a teacher with students that need scaffolding but when I let go they are fumbling around. I tried to let go and figure out a way to help them become independent thinkers and learners, because I wanted to prepare them for the next grade. I did not have an explicit plan for release of responsibility for my students because most would come back to me for support, so I wanted to know what did I do wrong with my students so I will know what not to do next year. Autonomy is my new word for next year and my goal for my up and coming students. I will not give "Independent Practice" at the end but incorporate it daily and conference with my students daily, to understand what strategies they are using or not using to learn standards. I will let go of ineffective practices that are hurting my students and providing more opportunities for them to show me what they know using the strategies that I have taught. After reading the three questions at the end I need to come up with a game plan that provides the students with the big performance, take-away leading questions, and make my lesson more scrimmage-like.

The video with Chris Lehman grabbed my attention in the first few minutes because it talked about 21st Century Workforce and how teachers are more important than that. The next thing he talked about was Data and how schools focus on standardized testing, but this is not the best way measure students knowledge. I know that Inquiry Based Learning is the buzz word now,although it is not a new concept, and allowing students ask question that the teachers may not know the questions to, but allowing the students to find the information. The idea of letting the students interact with the community and connecting to people that can talk to them in the subject. Letting students understand through metacognition and producing a product through a project to show their understanding. Letting students utilize technology through inquiry based learning. My role as a teacher is changing and I must become a mentor or I think a mediator to help guide them in their learning. Inquiry learning, instructional technology, and great teaching are all related to the article and video for this week it goes back to student-centered learning where the teacher supports students but letting go so they can use higher order thinking.

Comments

Popular Posts