Word Art

Blog Post # 5- Mindset

My first goal was to become more savvy with technology and my second goal was to introduce technology to students in a way that is productive and proficient.  I also wanted to network with other educators so that I can collect resources to use in the classroom and create student center activities. I think that I am on the right track with achieving my goals because I researched on Galileo for younger students, so now I have a great resource to use to help my students find material relevant to what they are learning or researching. I am becoming more savvy with technology because I know how to use Google to search for effectively and efficiently and before this course I had no idea I could search using pictures that I can upload or draw a symbol or picture to search. I am learning about new resources from other educators in this course because I am reading discussions and going to other sites that are linked to this course and my other summer course and I see so many great resources that I would have missed if I was looking for them alone. Creating the mini-lesson for this course and a book trailer for my other course is helping me create lessons that are more student-centered.

The 21st Century Information Fluency Cycle was great chart for me to look at because it aligned Digital Information Fluency (DIF) with Common Core State Standards for ELA and I will teach ELA next year and it will help me as I am planning lessons to incorporate the technology into my reading, writing, and researching activities.  DIF is the ability to find, evaluate, and use digital information effectively, efficiently, and ethically and I will model with my students throughout my ELA lessons until I can let go. Once I become Digitally Fluent my students can become fluent and weed out fact and fictional information as mention in the article, "Digital Fluency: towards young people's critical use of the Internet". Providing the strategies needed to distinguish good information from bad information or good websites from unreliable websites is useful and necessary when looking for information. Carol S. Dweck article was a great way for me to change my mindset and open myself up to looking at my deficiencies so that I can open up my opportunities for learning and future success. I want my students to look at failures as a learning opportunity and hopefully it will help them grow academically and more. Effort, risk taking, putting in work, and a sense of progress are a part of the learning process even for those that are smart and challenges are important even if we are not successful.

Comments

Popular Posts